Ford’s SYNC® 3 infotainment system gives you the option to use the seamlessly advanced Android Auto system to access all of your important information from your Android phone. We wrote you a quick guide on how to set it up on your vehicle, so take a look to learn more on how to use Android Auto on your Ford’s SYNC® 3 system.
How To Set-Up Android Auto
- Your Android device needs to be running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
- Download the latest version of the Android Auto app on your phone
- Update to the latest version on all your Google apps (such as Google, Google Maps, and Google Play™ Music)
Enabling Android Auto on SYNC® 3
- Press the Settings icon in the Feature Bar located at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the Android Auto Preferences icon
- Click Enable Android Auto
Connecting Your Smartphone
- Plug your smartphone into any USB port in the vehicle with any USB cable compatible with your smartphone.
- A pop-up message will appear on your SYNC®3 the first time you connect it. From there, press Continue, and then press Agree to accept the terms and conditions when they appear.
- Several other on-screen instructions may appear, presenting additional settings preferences for you. Once you’re done setting those up, another pop-up may ask you to turn on 911 Assist® if you do not have it set up. You may choose to turn it on or leave it off.
- Once you’re finished, Android Auto will appear in the touchscreen with several apps showing up on the screen.
Navigating the Home Screen
The Android Auto home screen is reminiscent of several widgets you add to your phone’s home screen, including one for music, weather and travel time to important locations. Below the main screen, there are five tabs for you to click on:
- Maps: Gives you access to Google Maps and the entire maps database
- Phone & Contacts: Access your contacts and call them directly from the interface, or with Google Assistant voice command
- Home: Takes you back to the main home screen & interface
- Music: Gives you the choice to stream music from any compatible music app, like Google Play™ or Spotify
- Tachometer: This prompts you with multiple options, including the choice to return back to the standard SYNC® 3 interface
Try out Android Auto for yourself by test driving any of our latest Ford vehicles, here at Whiteoak Ford!
Other pages you should read:
- The Best Ford Safety & Driving Assist Technology
- Essential Ford Tech for Big City Living
- Why you should splurge on your Ford with the SYNC® 3 system